Farmhouse bedrooms are becoming increasingly popular with many decorators. This decoration style has become very attractive, especially for those who want an authentic look that evokes European country living.
If your budget is limited, then it does not mean that you cannot create a stylish room. It’s just that it might take longer or require more effort on your part. For example, you can still have a beautiful French country style bedroom in your home using some wallpaper stickers. These are easy to apply and come in different themes, so finding exactly what you want shouldn’t be too much trouble. When decorating any bedroom, there is no limit to what you can do to make it look unique. Just let your imagination run free when planning how to go about achieving this.
Decorating doesn’t have to cost an arm and leg if you are willing to put in the extra hours yourself, but sometimes sourcing secondhand furniture or buying online can save you a small fortune. If decorating your room seems like too much of a challenge, then speak to your local interior designer. They might be accommodating with ideas on how to go about this.
The term “farmhouse” can be slightly misleading as it implies that you live or work on a working farm (which many people still do). Farmhouse style bedroom decoration should probably be called French Country because what you are attempting to achieve is the ambience of rural France only set in your bedroom.→ You can create a very similar look in your bedroom without the expense of time and money by finding the right pieces. Here’s what you’ll need.
– Large bed: Think king-size or even California King so there is plenty of space to work with and give an impression of space. A high headboard gives extra height, which makes even small bedrooms seem larger. The bed should be placed towards the centre of the room to make it feel inviting. Suppose you have two square or rectangular windows opposite each other. In that case, they are perfect for letting in light throughout the day, complemented by white embroidered curtains that puddle on the floor, creating a French Country appeal. Oak is always a popularchoice for furniture.
– Smaller dresser or chest of drawers<span data-preserver-spaces=”true”>: This can be placed at the foot of your large bed, next to a wall if possible, to create an extra feeling of space. Again choose an oak or painted pine.
– French-style chaise longue: These are usually very expensive, but there are many styles out there that fit in with the farmhouse bedroom theme without costing too much money. You can find them on sites such as eBay for only £60 (€74/$96). Make sure it matches the colour scheme you have chosen, and make sure it has no buttons; this would not look authentic on a French Provincial piece of furniture.
– Exposed beams: Even if you don’t have exposed beams, they can be added by using a wall decoration that has this look. A plain wooden beam can then be painted to follow the same colour scheme or finished in French grey paint with a gloss finish.
– Rustic chest: A small rustic chest can be used as a bedside table and, once again, adds to the authentic feel of the room. Make sure it matches your other furniture pieces and consider if you need two bedside tables or whether one is sufficient.
– Cushions: These give a sense of comfort and make the room look cosy, whereas silk cushions would not. Think about what colours you want to have in your farmhouse bedroom and choose from warm reds or vibrant blues, which will add warmth to the room and give you a sense of calm.
– Wall decoration: Something like the one above is perfect for this style of bedroom. It’s cheap and adds warmth to the room, and makes it look more spacious than it is. The symbols on this piece of wall art are common in European homes, especially in France, so even if you do not read French or speak any other language on the continent, they add to the character of the room décor.
– Rug: A large rug with no dominant colours such as black will add an extra element to your bedroom décor that completes your new farmhouse bedroom look. Try buying a rug that has already been woven because there is no need to buy an underlay and pad. This will save you lots of time and money. If you buy a new rug, be sure to steam it first so that there is no danger of the wool shedding onto your new flooring.
– Sheer curtains: These are particularly important as they will not only allow light to enter your bedroom but also give the room an additional airy feel. Sheers are very simple in design, featuring little or no lining, making them look more authentic for this bedroom décor. They can easily be dressed with simple tiebacks in matching fabric that can be bought at the same time as your sheers or already owned by you from another decoration scheme.
– Bedroom carpet: Don’t forget that different flooring types can completely change the appearance of a room. A carpet with a modern design or pattern would look out of place in this simple, old fashioned bedroom, so opt for wood or tiles that match your door frames and window sills. If you choose to go with carpet, make sure it is kept plain but beige in color, which will go with everything else in the room.
– Wall paint: The wall paint should be slightly darker than your wooden furniture pieces, but not too dark otherwise, the whole décor will look ‘heavy’. Again French grey is perfect for this room because of its lightness and simplicity.
– Floorboards: Wooden floorboards are usually very expensive if you want them either varnished (dark) or oiled (a light shade). However, other alternatives will still provide you with a country feel. For example, vinyl floorboards can be bought online and come in various shades, including oak, white and cream, which all look authentic. You can even opt to have these boards laid vertically instead of horizontally for an added rustic finish.
– Lighting: Bedroom lighting is crucial as well as this will give the room its overall atmosphere at night time. Try not to make your lights too bright, or they will look out of place in this dark, cosy bedroom. Inexpensive lamps with beautiful glass shades or even candles placed on small shelves next to your bed can create just the right amount of mood lighting for this bedroom style.
This room style uses pale colors like duck egg blue, lime green or pastel pink combined with white woodwork and dark painted cupboards. Natural décorlike wicker, rattan and cane furniture goes well with this style, with some wildflowers and plants to add a touch of greenery.
Farmhouse bedrooms also include lots of fabulous textured fabrics like linen and chenille. French country style resembles more of a hotel room than a traditional style bedroom. It is fresh yet rustic, making it very popular with many decorators today. If you love rustic décor, then you’ll love how easy it is to transform your bedroom into a French farmhouse-style sanctuary.
To add a rustic, vintage look to your bedroom, use deep rich colors like gold and bronze with white for the woodwork. This will give you that French country shade of dark blue, which is very popular at the moment in bedrooms throughout Europe and America.
You can also add a unique touch by using crushed velvet bedding and cushions in this style. These materials give off a luxurious aura when used together in any room, creating an opulent feel.
You could even go so far as to put crushed velvet curtains up on your windows or hang them from wooden rods across your headboard simply to add that special finishing touch. And if you don’t want something hanging all year round, why not use it just during the winter.