Continue reading if you already have some bottles at home and want to put them to good use rather than throwing them away, as the following information will help you do just that! This is a simple project that anyone who wants to make a cute lamp without drilling holes in the bottle can do. It is ideal for children who enjoy participating in arts and crafts. We are going to show you how to take the standard string lights and install them inside the bottle in such a way that water cannot enter it.
Because of this, it poses no risk of malfunctioning regardless of whether it is used indoors or outdoors, or even if it gets wet. We will also demonstrate how to make a bottle lamp shade using common household items, which can transform the overall appearance of your bottle lamp in a dramatic way.
Lamp kit, available at Amazon The neighborhood hardware store carries all of the necessary components, with the exception of the cordless drill, which is more easily accessible online.
Bottles made of plastic are the primary material. Lamp Kit (available at Amazon) Articles used for decoration (cordless drill not included)
Equipment necessary: A glue gun and various types of glue sticks – Shears/Cutters – A screwdriver and a hammer, a hole puncher, or both
1) Make a cut in the cap of the bottle and remove it completely. The task can be accomplished with relative ease using only a cutting board and a pair of scissors.
2) Give the inside of the bottle a thorough cleaning to remove any traces of dust or dirt that may be present.
3) Take the lamp kit and check that it fits in properly; since we were photographing it during the day, we used a bright bulb; however, you should use low-wattage bulbs if you’re installing them indoors in this manner.
4) Once you have finished fitting the kit into your bottle, place glue around the edges toward the top where there is a metal ring. This is where your cord will enter from the outside, leading into the bottom portion of the lamp, which houses all of the hardware for the power supply, etc. The metal ring can also be held in place by applying glue at strategic points around the ring.
5) Coat the upper portion of the bottle with glue all the way around, and then place it back into the lower section. You need to make sure that both of the pieces fit together securely, and if necessary, you can apply a little pressure to push them together.
6) Before using it as a lamp, you should wait at least twenty minutes for it to dry completely.
7) To give your lamp a more charming appearance, decorate it with items such as stones, pebbles, beads, and the like. Here, we used purple and green ones; however, ones in any other color, such as blue or orange, would also work well with this shade.
8) Get creative with it and design your own shade by adding flowers made out of paper or fabrics; we will be covering more tutorials on this topic soon, so stay tuned for more information on this topic.
9) If you want to hang it, get a string and tie the metal ring with the cord. This will allow you to hang it. If you want the bottle to lay flat, another option is to cut off the top portion of the bottle.
10) If you are going to hang your lamp outside, you need to make sure that you use materials that are sturdy and long-lasting so that water won’t drip into your light!
The decorative items, such as stones or flowers, do not need to be glued in place because they will not be moving around the lamp very much. If they fall out, you can place them back in using tweezers.
The primary objective of this project was to devise an alternate method of making a lamp that did not require drilling holes in the bottle. We wanted it to be original, imaginative, and enjoyable for children who enjoy doing arts and crafts. After you have finished using the lamp, throw away the bottles because they no longer contain any usable energy after you have installed the string light kit inside of them. This is what we did on our end.
The brilliant thing about this idea is that even if children decide to touch it or play around with it, there will be no glass shards for them to cut themselves on. The only part of it that is sharp is the passageway through which the cords enter from the outside. Any type of fabric or paper can be used in the construction of the shade. Waterproof sheers also work very well, but when you install them, you need to make sure they don’t poke out of the bottle.