Creating the perfect boy’s bedroom
While your son’s bedroom should be a place he can call his own and let loose and have fun, it doesn’t mean you have to spend thousands of dollars to make this happen. With some ingenuity and creativity, any parent can create a “wow factor” boys room for only $150.
While I am not saying this is going to be easy or without hard work, by following these simple steps, you will end up with an impressive bedroom décor that is sure to please you and your little guy.
The first thing you’ll need to do is measure the room. Then, write down all four measurements and use those as a guide for what you should shop for and where to place the furniture.
After measuring your child’s room, hop online and search for inexpensive items that can be used in creating a unique children’s bedroom set. There are countless websites and stores where you can score great deals, such as garage sales, flea markets, and online auctioning sites. Having a general idea of the theme you want to incorporate in your son’s room will help when it comes time for shopping.
This is perhaps one of the most important steps in the process. Once you have found items that meet your budget and will work for your child’s room, you need to get busy designing the layout. My suggestion is to use graph paper and a pencil. First, draw a quick sketch of how you’d like the room laid out. This will help when it comes time to place things on the wall and add furniture.
Try to decide what décor elements you want to add, such as posters and wall art. This is important because you will need to purchase frames at a local store and hang them yourself.
No bedroom would be complete without lighting and plenty of storage space. You can easily create lighting elements for the room by using inexpensive white Christmas lights and attaching them to lampshades or paper lanterns. For storage, use inexpensive baskets instead of buying expensive furniture to store extra bedding or clothing.
When it comes time for your son to lay his head at night, he will feel proud of his bedroom and have fun being a kid in a space that is uniquely his own.
Follow these steps to create a fab-looking bedroom in no time.
1) First things first…boy’s rooms are messy. No matter how hard you try, boys like to make a mess, and this room will be no different. However, by utilizing space correctly and adding storage areas, it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style for function; I never do. Instead of buying many small pieces or units that will eventually take up too much space and create more work for yourself, invest in one large wall unit that can house all the toys and hiding spaces needed. At the same time, this piece of furniture should blend right into your son’s bedroom, keeping décor cohesive throughout his room as well as providing form as well as functionality.
2) If your child is interested in sports but loves music, consider investing in some track lighting with built-in speakers. By setting this up correctly, not only will you be able to play all of his favorite music right from the lighting track, but he can also use it as a night light. This is a great feature for children afraid of the dark and need reassurance from time to time.
3) Oftentimes, your child’s bedroom may also double as a living space. Whether or not that is the case for you, if your son likes to read, then consider adding a hanging reading lamp over his bed or next to his study area. Not only is this going to provide excellent task lighting for homework activities, but it will also create an inviting feel in the room on those cold winter nights when he wants nothing more than to curl up with his favorite book.
4) If you are serious about pushing the envelope on this bedroom makeover, then invest in a television or computer monitor that can double as a mirror. This is an excellent way to update your son’s room quickly and easily while also adding some hard-core functionality for his favorite pastime. Using special GFI technology will allow him to play video games right on the glass, which makes it easier for him to interact with and allows him to be hands-on during gameplay, thereby increasing skills developed over time.
5) If your child loves comic books, consider investing in some blackout curtains so he can have total darkness while sleeping at night. While many boys may love all of the bright colors used in their bedrooms, they may not be so keen on being awoken by the sun shining through their windows every morning. With blackout curtains, they will have a much more restful sleep, and come morning; you can wake him with a hot cup of coffee or a big breakfast he is sure to love.
6) When putting together your son’s bedroom makeover, never forget about storage space. While it may be tempting to purchase a large bed with lots of storage underneath, this often takes up too much room and makes the entire arrangement feel crowded. Instead, invest in something more compact but not only functional but also stylish at the same time.
With an ottoman or trunk at the end of your child’s bed, he will have all the space he needs to store his spare clothing items as well as toys. Simply place this piece in front of a small reading nook with throws and pillows then you are sure to find that your son is eager to come home after school each day.
7) If your child is very particular about his bedroom décor, then consider adding a few of the things he loves most. For some children, this could be a model train set that you can install on a small table or even attach to the wall with adhesive hooks. Not only will this make your son’s room look more interesting, but it will help him feel as though he has a special place just for his most prized possessions.
8) The final thing you should remember when putting together your son’s bedroom makeover is to be creative and have fun with it. You can easily find a variety of unique furniture pieces that will allow you to turn this into a truly functional room where your child can learn, play, and relax all at once.
If you invest in quality accessories and unique décor pieces, you are sure to find that your son not only loves his new bedroom but will be proud to show it off as well!
By following these simple steps, you are not only giving your child the ultimate place where he can relax after a long hard day at school, but you are also providing him with a place that he can truly call his own.
When you take the time to make sure that every aspect of your child’s bedroom is enjoyable and functional, you are sure to find that he wants to spend more time at home instead of rushing off each day before heading out for playdates with friends.